Friday, September 2, 2011

Back to School

It's finally here. The time when both of my kids are officially in elementary school full-time. Anson started fourth grade last week and Charlotte's first official day of kindergarten was yesterday. Her entrance was somewhat staggered as she had an "assessment" day on Tuesday (full day), a one-hour open house on Wednesday to meet her teacher, and then Thursday was her first real day.

To Charlotte, that meant only one thing...three back to school outfits to choose (not counting the one she wore to walk Anson in on his first day). Anson played it off as no big deal what he wore, but then he stashed his outfit on the shelf in his room and then lay it out on his bed the night before, hat and glasses included. I have to admit, I remember the back-to-school outfit as way more interesting and important than any other aspect of the first day!

I never thought I'd be one of those weepy moms who cry when their babies head off to kindergarten, but as I walked down the hall after dropping Charlotte off, I definitely felt weird. Even though I know Charlotte is very ready, it is a huge milestone. I can remember my first day of kindergarten and how nervous I was. Charlotte was a little nervous, but mostly excited.

And now the photo chronology begins.

Anson's First of Day of Fourth Grade

Note the "I'm too cool to pose for pictures" smile on Anson, hoping no one on the street will see him doing something so embarrassing. Plus, this was the first year he was nervous about going back and not really knowing anyone in his class very well. I think he's growing up!







Charlotte's Assessment Day

I had to ask her to tone the posing down a bit, so this was the best I could get. The morning light reflected off the jewels on her shirt perfectly. I'm just now noticing she wore her bracelet even though I told her she shouldn't because it was too loud and jangly. Nice move.





Charlotte's Kindergarten "Meet the Teacher " Day

This was a very uneventful experience. It was in the afternoon, so by then the clothes she had selected were wrinkly and stained, so she had to go with a last minute backup. Once she saw that she knew no one in her class, she just wanted to leave and have a popsicle.


Charlotte's First Official First Day of Kindergarten (aka the first day of the rest of my life)

Both were up at the crack of dawn. Charlotte wanted to take a shower and wash her hair like a big girl in the morning, and also to make her hair flatter (she is not a fan of her very wavy hair). Then there was a lot of "Is it time yet?" with me responding, "No, we still have an hour and half."




P.S. All clothes and accessories selected and styled by Anson and Charlotte, although Charlotte was mortified to realize that she forgot to tuck her t-shirt in to her jeans so you could "see the sparkles" on the jeans. But by that time I was over taking pictures and told her to get in the car!

Wow, looking at these photos really is bringing a tear to my eye.  Don't tell anyone!

1 comment:

bluehydrangea said...

Too cute!! And many thanks for the dress info today. I should have known it was Calypso since I am always stalking their site!!