Friday, January 27, 2012

I Wish That I Was Jessie's Girl

Anytime I hear that song, I think of Skatetown USA in Charlottesville (long defunct). Molly and I would shake our booties while gliding on roller skates around a disgustingly dirty hardwood rink, then plop them down on filthy, carpet-covered blocks of wood and drink down our Pepsi-Colas. If we were lucky, we'd be in the groove and able to do some sweet moves...skating backwards, spins, and through the legs. If we were really lucky, some cute boy would ask us to join him for couples skate.

I'm here to report things haven't changed a bit at skating rinks. They even still play "Jessie's Girl," along with Justin Bieber, Kool and the Gang, and Katy Perry. They still have couples skate, but since most of their customers are in the five to 10-year-old range, most couples are best friends or kids and their moms.

They also offer the option for inline skates now (if you are my age, get them, they are MUCH easier than roller skates). I find I'm a little shaky at first, but then my innate skating abilities shine through. Not to say my butt hasn't met the floor a few times, but at least I'm not alone out there in that respect. By the way, the fall to the floor is much longer than it used to be, so get ready for some serious bruising (to your ego and your bum) your first time out.

Anson's getting pretty good, and can pose for me without falling.



Charlotte, on the other hand, is still an amateur.



I tried to get a few videos of them roller skating, so you could see their mad skills.




Afterwards we took a drink break (they are still serving Pepsi) and cooled down before leaving.



Just to make me feel more in the environment I was used to, there was a Ms. Pac-Man arcade game shoved in the corner. I was tempted, but I knew if the kids caught me on it, they'd be whining to play video games the whole time we were there.


I hope roller skating rinks can keep up over the years. There is something so freeing about gliding around that rink, as long as you don't wipeout, that is.

No comments: