Saturday, April 9, 2011

Team Warrior Princess

Some of you may have heard about Anson's friend Rhys, a new friend who just moved here from Santa Barbara, CA last fall. They became fast friends, as did Charlotte and Rhys' sister, Sofia. Sofia is in kindergarten, but also 5, and Charlotte and Sofia soon realized they were two peas in a pod.

Except Sofia had a brain tumor when she was just 2, and now has severe nerve damage in her face. She cannot smile, and one of her eyes does not work well, among other things. Despite these challenges, she and Charlotte have enjoyed sleepovers, movies, playdates, and lots of giggles. Charlotte knows a little about it, and asks lots of questions, and we actually find her adjusting her face to be just like Sofia.

Sofia just had her latest of frequent MRIs, and came through with flying colors. That's almost three years clear, with two more to go!

For the first time the other day, Charlotte saw Sofia with her daily eye patch. She wears it every day for two hours to help her poor eye improve. Immediately Charlotte had to have one. No more pirate patches; these days it's designer band aids!



We have joined Team Warrior Princess for a 5k walk/run in support Sofia to help raise money for the brain tumor center at Duke, where Sofia is treated.

If you'd like to help out, visit our Angels Among Us web site. Thanks!

1 comment:

Emma Ford said...

That is so unbelievably sweet and made me sob! As I can't be of much help financially, can I be on the team, and try to raise some money that way? I doubt I'll be able to run 5K (maybe even 5 feet)but I'll start working on it?? At least I know that I can certainly walk 5K at the very least! With a great motivation like this, I have no excuses!